Sunday, March 1, 2009

Stargazing

Liz suggested I go stargazing—often. I agree. I’ve long been one, even back in high school when I did my science fair project on observing variable stars (won second place, too). Later, I loved midwatches (12-4 a.m.) on the diesel electric submarine, when we were surfaced and laying to in the Gulf Stream. Even at sea level, stars are bright in the no-light areas of the ocean.

Since moving to the mountains, I've spend days wandering the Blue Ridge Parkway, enjoying the mountains in the day and the heavens at night. It is tremendous for the soul.

Now that mom-care is over, I shall resume the practice. It provides, as Liz points out, a healing influence. With spring rapidly approaching, lying out all night becomes an attractive thought. Watching stars rise and set hours on end provides some kind of devout contemplation that sets aside and renders harmless all cares of the mortal world. It is stardust observing stardust.

Thanks, Liz.

No comments:

Post a Comment