Monday, March 16, 2009

Principles and Values

It suddenly came to my attention that I could not tell you my principles and values, yet it strikes me as vital that I should be able to. I am sure I have them since I've acted against self-interest for others, yet have hurt others and myself when later I discovered some absence.

This became evident when Glen Beck was on TV talking about the topic. He only mentioned he has his, so later I went looking for them on the internet. They seemed a little thin to me, so I’ll not use his. His seemed merely a list of things that make him an egocentric conservative, vitally interested in ratings. I had listened to him for a few weeks when he was on CNN, but ceased and unsubscribed from his newsletter. They asked why I was unsubscribing, but I resisted telling them it was because I not heard anything constructive in the weeks I listened. Although I found his principles and values a bit thin, perhaps he is improving. Good.

One of the first items I think of is religion’s ten commandments, but these seem a bit dated and thin; for example, “Thou shall not kill.” Seems simple and straight forward enough, but there are numerous unstated exceptions from killing enemies in war, criminals for crimes, others in self-defense, and animals for food. Vague. I like the simplicity of statement, but it is too simple as Einstein warned, although in reference to science.

So, all I can say at this point is that I shall be working on this task or project, both for my benefit, as well as for potential use by others who would like a specific, teachable statement of principles and values.

If anyone would, please, do offer suggestions and rationale through comment. Thank you in advance for your response.

No comments:

Post a Comment