Friday, April 24, 2009

The Eyes Have It

This may be the last photo of me with glasses. This afternoon, I undergo surgery to correct my vision, and I am of course nervous in spite of overwhelming odds of everything coming out for the best.

My two eyes have become sufficiently different to be frustrating. I compose this with glasses on and one eye shut. My previous reluctance to surgery was the adverse night and low-light vision consequences. Stargazing means that much to me. The newer procedures both minimize this disadvantage, plus correct the very fine anomalies of the eye. 20/15 outcomes are not unknown.

On the other hand, having to maintain two pairs of prescription glasses would cost far more over the years than the surgery. I may still need glasses for reading and computer work, but they should be a lower-power reading glasses available inexpensively.

Wish me luck.
----------------------------------
Saturday, April 25, 2009: Surgery completed and I'm back home. I can see close up magnificently (e.g., I can see fingerprint swirls without glasses), but far vision remains blurry. It is approximately the same level as my vision was before, but in the opposite direction. This, I am assured, is temporary and my vision will shift to improved distance vision and the near vision may decrease to the point I need reading glasses.

I can at least say at this point, both eyes seem equal. They are terribly sensitive to glare, but sight under low-light conditions seems sensitive with only the same focus problems mentioned above.

I do find it amusing that I've been issued a prescription for -1.00 and before the surgery wore +1.00 for general seeing (other than reading). It will improve, say they; it will improve...
----------------------------------
Sunday, April 26, 2009: Vision seems same as yesterday, focusing well on anything within less than an arm's length, but unfocused with glare orbs at distance. A couple of times it bordered on vertigo. I actually am more light sensitive, and turned down the brightness of the TV to much less than it was.

I've thought of making a distance range that would allow me to easily and accurately compare two days, especially to determine if vision is shifting to give better sight at a distance, but have yet to come up with a good idea.

I think things are a bit better today, but I'm not sure if they are or I'm just a little better adjusted. That's why the desire for some kind of objective measure.
----------------------------------
Monday, April 27, 2009: Ordered new -1.00 prescription glasses. They should be available Saturday. Still find it amusing that I have spent a lot of money to convert my +1.00, $15 reading glasses, for -1.00, $47 prescription glasses.
----------------------------------
Tuesday, April 28, 2009: Seems my prime focal point is moving away from me. Things don't start to blur until around three feet where a couple days ago it was inside two feet. Initially I remember moving the laptop 12 inches away to bring the print in focus. Now it is okay at 15 inches, but the brilliance of an all-white background are still a bit much. I prefer the black background of this blog, but even the white letters and lines have a aura around them, like the negative version of a penciled line erased and rewritten.
----------------------------------
Thursday, April 30, 2009: Nothing special yesterday, so didn't post. Today, vision seems the same, plus I seemed to have rubbed the right eye the wrong way so it seems extra sensitive to glare and a bit blurry, but comparing it the left, it is the same--with fog. Suspect no real damage, and using the up-close vision, no damage is apparent.

Wal-Mart Vision Center just called, saying new glasses are in two days early. I Wonderful, since that will allow me to drive down tomorrow without the world being unfocused as it has been all week. Perhaps the universe is indeed looking out for me.

I am beginning to get used to the idea that I may forever need distance glasses but will not need reading glasses. Perhaps, should my eyes regain their strength of youth, I can again read a book-a-day in unending stream. Perhaps a bit of Faustian bargain is going on. Yes!
----------------------------------
Friday, May 1, 2009: Got my one-week checkup and was told I am improving and the symptoms still experienced are all normal. I still suspect I shall not recover to the point I have distance vision without correction. Another person there for his one-week checkup has had good distance vision since his surgery, the same day as mine. Somewhere, someone recorded or didn't read something correctly so I came out different than desired. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment