Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Tips, Tricks, and Techniques – Cold Treats

Tina just described her condition as her head being more full of snot than ideas. I would like the pass on some wisdom picked up from years in nursing homes:

1. When one catches a cold, take a massive dose of Vitamin C (3000mg) and Echinacea (800mg). The Echinacea boosts one’s immune system to cure the cold. I find the cure works even better if one also includes a multi-vitamin. Earlier is better. I used to take Echinacea daily during winter season. Colds were less severe and caught less often.

2. A new addition is Zicam swabs, where one swabs the effected portion of the nose. The Zinc retards rhino-virus replication while the immune system comes up to speed to eradicate the cold virus. It is imperative to do this in the first 72 hours, says it, but the first 24-hours are the real secret. The next 48 hours, I think, just sells more Zicam. Anyway, Zicam really seems to inhibit cold severity.

Both works best. If caught in the first few hours, one wonders if it really was a cold or just a momentary runny nose. Please, understand, these do not directly control the symptoms of a cold as do most cold "remedies." These techniques limit the virus causing the cold. A regular remedy will also be desirable for symptom relief.

Snot mostly comes from the immune system taking on the bacteria eating the dead cells ruptured by viral replication.

Placebo? Perhaps, but it works whichever it might be, and I am a bit of a skeptic. Of course, I believe in placebos; I know they work.

Hope this helps, at least, next time. Perhaps Liz can add some Chinese medical wisdom. Echinacea is Eastern, but it's Eastern US.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Dad -- I usually take yin chiao and emergen-c, emergen-c almost everyday. I am no so bad off as in need of a day to lay in bed and do nothing.
    I have heard of this zycam stuff and am interested to find it. The problem is motivating out of the door... maybe after dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zicam comes in the swabs, but is also now available in a form one can swallow, which I assume is for throat-starting colds. I haven't tried it, but the swabs I swear by.

    Good luck, Sweetheart. Feel better! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete