Saturday, May 30, 2009

Worldview Changing Books

From time to time, I become aware of books that alter my worldview. I wish to share these books and what it is about them that makes them, at least, in my opinion, worldview modifiers.

These come, I note, in two varieties, and perhaps, three. The first is how I view my world, but does not necessarily change my life up close and personally. One example of this type is Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors. This book discusses the knowledge now available about man through analysis of his DNA. Intriguing, but won't make much, if any, difference in what I do today or tomorrow, save reading more on the topic.

The other type book has great impact on what I do, today and tomorrow, and perhaps for the remainder of my life. An example of this is The China Study: Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health. Basically, it lists the ways in which the majority of Americans are adversely impacting their health and longevity, and how a diet change can reverse those effects.

A third type would be books I've found that have major impact on personal finance. An example of this category would be Bollinger on Bollinger Bands. Finance may be regarded as a necessary evil, but the keyword is "necessary." Doing it right reduces that percentage of time and cognition demanded to satisfy this necessity, not to mention can provide a great deal more of the resources making other pursuits possible that otherwise might not be.

The idea, here, is to share these findings so others can enjoy the benefits I have derived. That simple. Most of these came to my attention because someone else took a few moments to share their experience, and I repay that gift in turn. In some cases, such as The China Study, brought to my attention by Elizabeth, my favorite middle daughter, it is the gift of life itself--or at least more and better life. Before the Dawn was from a surgeon during a followup visit. I, in turn, told him of The Singularity Is Near.

I will treat each of these books individually. Their entry here is as examples to help clarify what I intend. Hopefully, you will find these entries of benefit, and will let me and others know by adding comments to an entry. Also, please, do add comments on alternative sources that you have found beneficial. Thank you in advance for your contribution and caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment